History of Hope United Methodist Church of Blue Earth

Behopeumc   -  

* After years of discussion, debates, and planning the First, Immanuel, and Salem congregations in Blue Earth officially voted to become one congregation on February 4, 2007. (Overall the vote was about 95% in favor)

 * On April 15, 2007, we voted that the name would be Hope United Methodist Church of Blue Earth.

*  Our first service as Hope UMC was held at Salem on September 16, 2007, although we continued to rotate services in the three churches.

* The Groundbreaking Service for the new building was held on May 1, 2011, a cold/snowy Sunday.

* The first service in the new building was held on Christmas Eve, December 24, 2011, although the building was not completed.

* A Consecration Service was held on March 11, 2012, and a Service of Mortgage Payment & Building Dedication was held on January 26, 2014. The building was paid for!!!

* In 2015 a Garage was built to house the church bus and needed storage space.

* The Immanuel Church was torn down in 2008, First Church was sold to Youth for Christ, and  Salem was sold to Covenant Life Church.

* The church bell at Immanuel was removed when the church was torn down and the bells from Salem & First were removed in December 2011. Following some time in storage, they were finally placed in a wonderful setting at Hope along with stones with pictures of their respective churches.

* We observed our 10th Anniversary on September 17, 2017.

* The following Pastors have served our congregation.   Pastors Wane Souhrada, Katie Menne, Art Keith, Jan Crissinger Clark, Russ Jacobsen, and Lee Miller.   Retired Pastors Lois Abel, Jan Redman & Judy Clark also assisted as needed.

*As the Basey, Delavan, and Winnebago churches closed several of these members also transferred their memberships to Hope UMC.

Although we have only been Hope UMC for 16 years our former churches were established – some over 160 years ago: First -1856; Immanuel – 1861; Salem – 1881; Basey -1868; Delavan – 1872; Winnebago – 1856  and our sister church in Elmore – 1889 (which was a part of the Southern Prairie Parish)

~Rescpectfully prepared by Marilyn Schaefer and David Murray of the History and Membership Committee